Where I’m at

So much has been happening with both my projects I have lost sight of completing weekly reports. So I thought that I would post a summary that covered everything I have done in the last few weeks and to get the project up to speed.

Colander

I had previously constructed and tested my colander prototype which revealed some issues with size. The testing however, re-enforced that the idea of selecting half of the surface of the colander for drain holes only was proven theory in water saving. From here I have been sketching smaller and more useable shapes for the colander. I have been working on the idea of having the colander split into 2- one side filled, the other side holey. I made a quick mock up of this theory previously and noted that there needed to be segregation between the two areas so that water could be contained in the reservoir. I made a quick mock up with a ‘wall’ in-between both areas. This worked well, but was a little ‘clunky’ for need of a better word. So I began to think about other patterns of draining holes. I quickly made up a colander that was filled in the centre, with holes surrounding the upper edges/walls. This worked really well, and when needing to drain water away, the colander was simply tilted. This change in idea saw me return once more to a shape that I began with at the start of semester. This colander is oval in shape, and has an angled basket within. The lowest end of the basket is filled and acts as the initial reservoir in which to wash. The upper surfaces of the reservoir have drain holes. When the user needs to drain away the used water, the colander is tilted, so that the lower reservoir drains through the holes and into a catchment area beneath. Complicated I know, but in the flesh it’s a really simple.

I am now playing with this idea and am trying to find the program Lamina on the uni computers to produce some paper models. This will give me quick and inexpensive insight into overall shape and feel of the objects from CAD.

Holey water

This project has become a battle of measurements at the moment. I decided on creating my own new grip. Currently human grips are divided into two areas- the ‘power grip’ and the ‘precision grip’. The way in which the holey water cup is held combines both of these grips and for now I have named it the ‘tetra grip’ because of the 3 main points that make the grip. This thumb acts as a power grip, the index finger as a precision grip and the rest of the fingers as a combination of the two. I have come across a great book Bodyspace, by Stephen Pheasant, which has given me so much direction in the way of anthropometrics and ergonomics. I have currently produced a set of measurements for the tetra grip that suit a range of data from male and female, child, adult, etc. This data seems great in theory, but needs to be modelled 3D to get a better understanding. At the moment the overall shape appears too small.

I have also been working on the plastics arm of the project- I have previously broken the project down into 3 materials pathways ceramics, plastics and glass. I created and tested several mock ups of add on grips that, instead of being the entire vessel, will simply attach to any regular drinking glass. These have worked really well but in the end will come down to materials choice for friction with drinking glasses. I am now looking into cooking grade silicones for this outcome.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Major studies

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s