Tag Archives: clay modeling

week 2 in reflection

Week 2 has been much more productive than the previous week. Instead of bogging myself down with sketching and development on the ‘page’ I have begun to concentrate on what I am good at as Soumitri suggested. So I have thrown myself into model making in both projects- colander and cup.

I went back to my idea development of the holey water cup in semester 1 in the Rapid elective. I became frustrated with sketching my ideas here too and turned to modeling the item to find answers. I again turned to modeling and had my Mum (thanks Mum) to throw 5 pots in clay. I let these pots dry and then manipulated them with the grip of my hand. This process revealed the many ways in which a cup can be held one handed, and I explored alternative grips in comparison with the holey. The grips were interesting; however none offered the security in grip as the holey. The Holey model wraps the entire hand around the cup and then locks in the grip via an opening on the side for a finger. This system feels comfortable to hold and most importantly, feels secure. As I advance with this design I will have to address the issue of capacity and increase the amount of water being captured. This will inevitably increase the weight of the object, which is why a secure grip is vital. From here, I will make further models around the holey idea, and work on capacity.

The colander project also advanced within week 2. This project also moved away from sketching and into model making. The fist model I created was from the colander at our house. I simply covered half of the inside of the colander with foil so that the water could not escape. When held at an angle, this also meant that the water would pool in this area. This idea is based around the idea of using one small amount of water which is trapped in the colander (held at angle). The contents are washed around using this one amount. When washed, the colander is then tipped to the opposing angle to allow the water to drain away into a holding container beneath. The captured water is then re-used. I filmed the washing of snow peas within the colander and my idea worked. From here I purchased a plastic water jug which I cut and formed a taller version of the first trial. The reason for making the model taller is so that the water will flow off one item and then onto another beneath it. I also filmed this trial and made several conclusions:

– The vessel was to tall and obscured the view of the contents when tilted to one side

– The vessel was too narrow and restricted hand movement within when washing contents

From here I created paper models to try to solve the issues I had with the second trial. These models became flatter and wider, and have two raised sides- one for washing (no holes) and one for rinsing (holes). The process of making paper models was rapid and a nice way to experiment with my findings.


Leave a comment

Filed under Major studies